News

Up in smoke

William Brown, an electrician who was 24, was having his very first try-out of a vaping pen in a specialist shop in Fort Worth, Texas, in January, when the metal tube blew up in his face.

Shrapnel from the pen impacted his skull and severed the carotid artery in his neck. He died from the injuries.

The University of North Texas Health Science Center has studied US emergency room data from 2015 to 2017 and found that there were 2,035 e-cigarette-related explosions and burn injuries during that time.