News

Slugging it out

If you have ever thought about eating a garden slug, whether as a ‘dare’ or simply as a change from your Mother’s cooking, think again.

In Australia, Sam Ballard has just died, eight years after wolfing down a garden slug for a dare with mates.

He became ill the day after eating the slug, complaining of leg pains – the slug contained a worm that is usually found in rodents, but which can spread to creatures that eat the rat’s faeces. It gave him lungworm disease, otherwise known as eosinophilic meningoencephalitis. He was in a coma for 420 days and woke with an acquired brain injury.

And now he’s gone at the age of 29, thanks to a silly dare.

Picture source: James Petts