News

Self-immolation

Heather Loveridge had a history of setting light to herself, an inquest in Cambridge, UK, has heard.

When she was taken into a psychiatric ward in a Peterborough hospital she finally succeeded in burning herself to death in the en-suite bathroom of her room, just a day after she was admitted.

A cigarette lighter was found in her possession. The verdict was death by misadventure and the medical director of the NHS trust concerned said: “we remain committed to ensuring all lessons are learned.”

Picture source: By Vaughan Weather